
Merseyside Police continue to investigate a “targeted attack” on William Henry Street in Bootle where neighbours reported seeing a large armed police presence on Friday
Shots were fired at a house while a little girl played in the front garden of a neighbouring property tonight.
Residents in Bootle, Merseyside, where shocked to see armed police swarm their street this evening, following reports of gunfire. Officers found damage to the front wall of a house but luckily no one, including the youngster, was injured.
But forensic teams remain at the scene and roads are closed to aid the investigation. One neighbour said: “I got home at 6.30pm and all the police were here. A little girl was in one of the front gardens when they fired the gun. No one was hurt. Police have blocked off the road and no one can get in or out.”
Merseyside Police say it was a “targeted attack,” said to have been carried out by a bearded man wearing a camouflage jacket on William Henry Street, a residential street near docklands in Boote, which is just north of Liverpool. High visibility patrols have been stepped up in the area tonight, it is understood.
READ MORE: Dad-of-two shot and paralysed during NATO test exercise at Wales shooting range
Another woman who lives on the road said she was out when it happened but was told by another neighbour how they “heard gunshots”, and another man said he saw armed police when he looked out the window while at home.
He told Liverpool Echo : “There was armed police here. I was completely oblivious to it. I was washing the dishes and looking after my little one when it actually happened but then armed police arrived.”
Another woman, who lives on an adjacent street, said: “I’m so shocked, I was in most of the afternoon and heard nothing. I have been living here for 15 years and never seen anything like this on the road before.”
READ MORE: Catford murderer Tyler Roberts-Emmanuel jailed for life after point blank nightclub shooting
House-to-house enquiries are underway in the area. Detective Inspector Keith Swift, from Merseyside Police, said: “An investigation into the full circumstances of this incident is ongoing, however, we do believe it was a targeted attack.
“I would appeal to anyone who may have seen anyone acting suspiciously in the area around Owen Road shortly before, or after the incident, to contact us. Information they have could be vital.”
The latest gun offence comes after a mum in Talbot Green, south Wales was shot dead on her doorstep in a possible case of mistaken identity. Joanne Penney, 40, died at the scene last month, following which a 42-year-old man was arrested. Police said the investigation moved at a quick pace as officers tried to establish a motive for Ms Penney’s heinous killing.