
Each room of the property is dark, dilapidated and covered in filth – but its due to be auctioned for a second time after with a slashed price failing to meet its reserve last week
Britain’s “creepiest” home sprawled with blood-red “keep out” graffiti is due to be auctioned for a second time after it failed to sell last week.
In a bid to bring attract a dedicated buyer to commit to a “complete renovation”, the asking price of the empty, three-bedroom detached home has been slashed. Each room is dark, dilapidated and covered in filth – with some leftover furniture still scattered around the living room.
It is listed as having an energy efficiency rating of F – the second lowest – as well as overgrown gardens along its front, side and rear. The neglected two-storey property also has a dumped, broken TV on the grounds.
Many of the property’s interior walls are bare, although some still retain their old-fashioned wallpaper. In the living room, there are two dirty old armchairs, a sofa, fireplace and an empty TV stand. The run-down house is in the village of Blofield, near Norwich, Norfolk. It was auctioned on last Wednesday, March 26, by Auction House East Anglia with a guide price of between £275,000 and £325,000. But after failing to meet its reserve, it’s now being auctioned by the same firm on May 8 with a new guide price of £250,000 to £275,000.
Its listing states: “Of interest to cash buyers only. This three-bedroom detached house needs a complete program of renovation/refurbishment. Having been in the same ownership for many years and is now to be sold with vacant possession. The house is set in a generous rectangular 0.26-acre garden in need of attention.
“The large plot offers room to extend or redevelop, subject to the necessary consents. Off-road parking to the front with overgrown front, side and rear gardens with a hard standing area where a detached double garage once stood. The water tank has been removed, leaving exposed pipes, and heating was previously provided via a back boiler.”
The listing comes just months after the owner of Britain’s “most haunted house” put it back on the market just four years after it was finally sold. The property, dubbed “The Cage”, took 12 years to sell because it was plagued by terrifying accounts of paranormal activity. It was finally snapped up in 2020, despite its morbid history as a former village lock-up used to imprison “witches” who sat waiting to be burnt or hanged.
It went back on the market in October last year for £250,000 after another former owner said she was shoved to the floor by an unknown force while heavily pregnant. The new estate agents admitted that rather than a home the site “presents an enticing opportunity for a cosy and eccentric holiday let.”
Vanessa Mitchell purchased the house in St Osyth, Essex, in 2005 for £144,000, but her stay there was a short one. She claims to have witnessed the ghost of a man disappear into an eerie mist, found blood on the floor, and says she was even shoved to the ground while heavily pregnant. But the final straw was spotting a satanic goat wandering around on CCTV.